It’s hard to believe that we’re 8 years into the Marvel cinematic universe. The films keep growing in scope and piling on continuity and yet, the films continue to get better and better. Nowhere is that more obvious than Marvel’s “Captain America: Civil War” which arrives on Digital HD, Digital 3D and Disney Movies Anywhere on Sept. 2 and on Blu-ray™ 3D, Blu-ray, DVD and On-Demand on Sept. 13.
The movie deftly juggled a huge number of characters. Just look at this list.Team Cap, commanded by Steve Rogers (Chris Evans), or Team Iron Man, led by Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) are joined by Natasha Romanoff aka Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), Bucky Barnes aka Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan), Sam Wilson aka Falcon (Anthony Mackie) Colonel James “Rhodey” Rhodes aka War Machine (Don Cheadle), Clint Barton aka Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner), Vision (Paul Bettany) and Wanda Maximoff aka Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen), along with new recruit Scott Lang aka Ant-Man (Paul Rudd) and joined by two new additions to the MCU: T’Challa aka Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman) and Peter Parker aka Spider-Man (Tom Holland).
Aside from the massive cast, the way Black Panther and Spider-Man are handled and introduced is just perfect and truly harkens back to the feeling you get when reading a comic book. You’d pick up some random comic because of a cool cover and a few heroes you’d recognize. The next thing you know the Black Panther is joining a pursuit or Spider-Man is swinging into a battle.
No origin story. No introductions.
For a character like Spider-Man, one that’s instantly recognizable, it’s not a big deal. His origin is recapped with a few words. For T’Challa the Black Panther, the character’s regalness throughout and sense of closeure at the end of the film makes the character instantly likeable in a film full of great performances and scenes.
I can’t wait to check this out again once it’s available. I’m not much on special features, but this set has a few I want to check out:
- United We Stand, Divided We Fall – The Making of Captain America: Civil War Part 1 & Part 2 – As the tension mounts, sides are chosen and lines drawn. Learn more about the characters on each side—from Captain America and Iron Man to the latest recruits. In this complete behind-the-scenes look at a landmark in the Marvel saga, we’ll examine their stories through exclusive footage and interviews and discover just what went into selecting the Super Hero teams, filming the epic action sequences and introducing Black Panther and Spider-Man to the MCU.
- Captain America: The Road to Civil War – Explore the First Avenger’s fascinating evolution from loyal soldier to seasoned, conflicted hero who questions authority.
- Iron Man: The Road to Civil War – From Gulmira to Sokovia, delve into the development and evolution of one of the most iconic characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Gag Reel – Break the tension of this high-stakes conflict with some hilarious outtakes featuring the lighter side of your favorite Super Heroes.
- Deleted & Extended Scenes – Check out never-before-seen footage that didn’t make the final cut of “Captain America: Civil War.”
- Audio Commentary – Directors Anthony and Joe Russo and screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely deliver scene-by-scene insight and explain the storytelling challenges they faced creating the third installment of the Captain America franchise.
- Open Your Mind: Marvel’s Doctor Strange – Exclusive Sneak Peek – Go behind and beyond the scenes as Doctor Strange makes his journey to the big screen.
You can already pre-order the 3D Blu-Ray (my choice) and the regular Blu-Ray.